Learning a foreign language provides an opening to learn about other cultures.
At Hannah More, we believe that with our high-quality language education, we foster children’s curiosity and deepen their understanding of the world.
The foreign language taught at Hannah More is French. This language is taught in Key Stage 2.
Our French lessons enable children to express their ideas and thoughts in another language and to understand and respond to others, both in speech (Years 3 and 4) and in writing (Year 5 and 6).
We also provide opportunities for children to communicate for practical purposes, learn new ways of thinking and read books written in French.
In French lessons, children are taught to:
- listen to spoken French language
- explore the patterns and sounds of language through stories, songs, poems and rhymes
- Have a simple conversation; ask and answer questions; express opinions
- speak in sentences, using basic, familiar vocabulary and phrases
- develop accurate pronunciation of words so that others can understand them
- broaden their vocabulary and develop understanding of new words
- use a French dictionary confidently
- describe people, places, things and actions
- write phrases from memory and create new sentences