The majority of the wider curriculum is taught through cross-curricular enquiries that combine the foundation subjects. Each year group covers their National Curriculum objectives across the year by answering an enquiry question using the Curious City curriculum. You can find out about the enquiries on the subject pages.
PSHE is a discreet hour of the week. We use Jigsaw to take our children through the learning in 6 key areas, Being Me In My World, Celebrating Difference, Dreams and Goals, Healthy Me, Relationships and Changing Me.
PE is taught by our Sports Coach, who teaches each vibrant, dynamic and active lessons with a strong focus on healthy lifestyles.
R.E. is a theme day each term where children explore a question linked to two or more religions.
In a nutshell, enquiry-led learning provides learners with key questions that are too big to answer in one go, but not so conceptually large that the children do not understand. The purpose is to guide learners through a scaffolded process, answering a big question by producing something, such as a piece of writing, performance or animation.
States of Being
The emphasis is on children learning, not being taught subjects. For instance, teaching Science is a different thought process than planning for learners to become Scientists. Active, practical and experiential, the States of Being are essential to becoming curiosity driven settings and all staff are expected to use the States in visual timetables, termly planning, displays and newsletters. Each State if Being is characterised to help the children understand what is means and to also challenge stereotypes around them.
At Hannah More learners become...
Geographers • Scientists • Musicians • Authors • Philosophers • Mathematicians • Artists • Engineers • Historians
Around our school, you will see:
- High quality and stimulating ‘Enquiry’ displays that show the learning journey of the children toward their end of enquiry ‘challenge’.
- Enquiry Books filled with a child’s individual response to their enquiry question
- Year group floor books packed with pictures of practical learning as the children explore their theme
- (Online) Class Blogs document catalysts for learning such as trips, visitors and any videos or digital media created by the children
- ABOVE ALL: Excited and talkative children who will want to share their learning with you.